How To Get Rid Of Pinworms Overnight Home Remedies
Pinworm infection is one of the most common roundworm infections worldwide in adults and especially children. The worst part is that they can spread very quickly. Learn how to get rid of pinworms overnight naturally. Also, you can find other frequently asked questions about worm infestations on this health blog.
“Pinworms infections are very common and affecting approximately one billion people worldwide.”
What are pinworms?
Pinworms, sometimes called as threadworms, are small white or light gray worms that commonly cause enterobiasis. Pinworm infections are more common in children than in adults.
According to studies on Enterobius Vermicularis, pinworms are slimy because worms ranging in size from 2 to 5 mm in males and 8 to 13 mm in females.
How can pinworms enter our body?
Eating pinworms can cause infection. This can be done in the following ways:
- Mouth: When the eggs of infected pinworm, found on fingers, under nails, on clothing, bedding, and other contaminated objects and surfaces, are ingested, people often become ill, often without realizing it.
- Anus: Adult female pinworms enter the large intestine at night and exit the body through the anus. They return to the colon after laying eggs in the folds of skin around the anus. These eggs often cause pain and itching.
- Air: Airborne eggs can also be inhaled, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Shaking contaminated bedding, towels or clothing can cause it.
Pinworm eggs can sometimes become airborne due to their small size and are inhaled.
What are the Symptoms of Pinworm Infections?
Some common symptoms of pinworm infections may include:
- Itching around the anus: Pinworms around the anus lay their eggs at night, causing irritation that can lead to itching around the anus, especially at night. Although anal symptoms are usually mild, itching can be severe.
- Itching around the vagina: Discharge and itching in the vaginal area are additional symptoms that women may experience.
- Sleep problems: As anal itching worsens at night, pinworm sufferers may experience difficulty falling or staying asleep, which can affect concentration, cause fatigue and weight loss
If you experience any of the above pinworm infection symptoms, it is strongly recommended that you see your doctor.
View More: How To Get Your Period In One Hour Home Remedies
How To Get Rid Of Pinworms Overnight without medicine?
Following are some commonly used and proven home remedies to get rid of pinworms overnight.
1- Coconut Oil for Pinworms
Although coconut oil is not an effective treatment for pinworms, it is still a popular natural remedy for pinworms according to scientific studies. Many people believe that if oil is applied to the anus area, the female will not be able to lay eggs there.
To get rid of worms overnight naturally, you can sleep with a tablespoon of virgin coconut oil in your anus. But before applying, make sure you are not allergic to the oil.
2- Raw Garlic
According to belief, garlic destroys existing eggs and prevents the pinworms from producing more. It can be used as an ointment or as a mild supplement. Chop a clove of garlic and add it to spaghetti or toast if you want to eat it. Raw garlic can also be eaten on its own.
3- Papaya Seeds
In studies on rats, papaya seeds have been shown to be effective in treating pinworm infections due to their anthelmintic activity. However, no human studies have shown its effectiveness.
You can take papaya seeds alone or sweetened with honey for home remedies.
Drinking two cups of raw carrots a day can help the body eliminate pinworms through the intestines. This is because the high fiber content in carrots can improve digestion and promote bowel movements.
There are several sources that suggest that turmeric powder can be used to treat pinworms. You can make turmeric tea by adding turmeric to a cup of hot water and boiling it for five to ten minutes. Drink regularly for results.
What is the medical treatment for pinworms?
A study that collected data on pinworms from PubMed articles between 1990 and 2019 found that:
“In almost all cases, anthelmintic treatment, combined with hygienic measures, can successfully eliminate pinworm infestations and prevent relapse and autoinfection.”
If you don’t want to try home remedies to get rid of pinworms, you can seek medical help which may be better. Your doctor may use the following oral antiparasitic medications to treat worm infections:
- Pyrantel pamoate
How to prevent from pinworm infections?
There are some precautions you can take to avoid pinworm infections:
- Wash your hands often, especially after coming home from the streets or after eating.
- Do not cut your nails and keep them short.
- Wear tight underwear
- Wash the underwear in hot water.
- Wash sheets and blankets regularly.
- Vacuum or mop the floor daily.
- Use hot water to wash all bedding and clothing.
The Bottom Line
So, now you know how to get rid of pinworms overnight. These natural remedies can be helpful, but should not be used as the first line of defense.
Be careful when using any home remedy, especially if you have allergies. You can always ask your doctor for expert opinion and immediate treatment options.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Vaseline help with pinworms?
Although vaseline cannot cure a pinworm infection, a lotion or ointment such as vaseline can help reduce itching or burning caused by pinworms. You can try this home remedy but after consulting your doctor.
Can you flush out pinworms?
Doctors sometimes prescribe tap water enemas to kill the pinworms and prevent them from spreading further. This can be done with a simple injection of water into the rectum, which stimulates bowel movements.
How do you stop pinworms from itching at night?
You can try washing the anal area with lukewarm water and a little soap or any antifungal cream or ointment that your doctor recommends. Coconut oil can also reduce the symptoms of itching.