Gaviscon Syrup Uses – Features, Dosage And Side Effects
Gaviscon Syrup – One of the best gas relief syrups in Pakistan is Gaviscon Syrup. They include antacids or carminatives like alginate (which help reduce gas).
Alginate works by creating a barrier in the stomach that prevents stomach acid from entering the esophagus (throat). This basically prevents acid reflux.
The uses of Gaviscon Syrup include relief from heartburn, acid indigestion, indigestion and stomach hyperacidity.
You must be sure of the amount of Gaviscon Syrup, as with other medicines, because taking more than necessary can affect your stomach.
View More: Best Teeth Pain Tablet In Pakistan – Uses And Side Effects
Gaviscon Syrup Uses
This medicine is intended for the treatment of:
- The effects of excess stomach acid include indigestion, heartburn and indigestion.
- Antacids, made from aluminum and magnesium, quickly reduce stomach acid.
- Liquid antacids work faster and more effectively than pills or capsules.
- This medicine only fights the existing stomach acid.
- It does not prevent the formation of acid.
- It can be taken alone or with other medicines (eg proton pump inhibitors such as omeprazole and H2 blockers such as cimetidine/ranitidine) that reduce acid production.
Other uses for Gaviscon syrup include:
- Uneasy stomach
- Acidic stomach
- Ejection of acid
Before using this medicine (Precautions)
The safety of Gaviscon should be confirmed by a doctor or pharmacist if:
- Your stomach is upset.
- Swallowing problems.
- You suffer from kidney disease.
- You eat some salt.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, consult your doctor before taking this prescription.
- Take two to four Gaviscon tablets (regular and enhanced) four times a day. After chewing the tablet properly, drink a glass of water. Do not take the entire tablet.
- Take one or two teaspoons (5 ml of a tablespoon) of Gaviscon Regular Strength Liquid four times a day. After that, drink a glass of water. Shake the bottle well before use.
- Take one to two tablespoons (15 ml spoonful) of Gaviscon Extra Strength Liquid four times daily. After that, drink a glass of water. Shake before use.
How To Take Gaviscon Syrup And When?
- The usual dose of Gaviscon is up to four times a day for tablets and liquids.
- The ideal time of entry is immediately before and after a meal.
- This often occurs when grief and irritation are at their height.
- However, take Gaviscon as directed if your healthcare professional has recommended it.
- Chew the tablet instead of swallowing it whole.
- After that, it is recommended to drink something.
- Mix Gaviscon powder with freshly boiled water or infant formula for babies and children under two years old.
Characteristics Or Features Of Gaviscon Syrup
- According to research, Gaviscon may reduce heartburn symptoms in people with GERD and acid reflux.
- Gaviscon should only be used in milder cases.
- In more difficult situations, Gaviscon can be combined with a proton pump inhibitor (PPI).
- These medications reduce the production of stomach acid.
- While certain PPIs such as pantoprazole require a prescription, others such as Nexium (esomeprazole) or Prilosec (omeprazole) are available without a prescription.
- Not only does Gaviscon treat reflux, it also delays the onset of symptoms by reducing stomach acid after meals.
Possible Side Effects
Gaviscon rarely causes side effects. A 2014 study found no difference between Gaviscon users and those given an inactive placebo in terms of side effects.
When they do this, side effects are usually minor, but can include:
- Mouth ache
- Metal flavor
Some side effects are due to the taste of gaviscon, which some people find unpleasant. Once taken, a glass of water can help reduce nausea, indigestion, and belching.
Combination of Gaviscon with Analgesics
Gaviscon and paracetamol can be taken together safely. However, avoid using Gaviscon with other pain relievers such as ibuprofen or aspirin without first talking to your doctor or pharmacist. This can worsen your symptoms.
Include Gaviscon in herbal supplements or blends
Gaviscon can be taken with herbal supplements with no known side effects.
The Bottom Line
Gaviscon Syrup – People with GERD or sporadic acid reflux use a common over-the-counter antacid called Gaviscon to treat heartburn.
In addition to sodium bicarbonate and alginic acid, which form a protective foam barrier between the stomach and esophagus. It also contains aluminum hydroxide and magnesium carbonate, which neutralize stomach acid.
You can get Gaviscon in tablet or liquid form. After meals and before going to bed, it can be taken four times a day.
Indigestion, nausea, and belching are examples of possible side effects that are usually mild. Gaviscon should be used with caution in people with kidney disease, peptic ulcers, or swallowing problems.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does Gaviscon do?
It is available as a reflux inhibitor, which creates a protective layer of foam over stomach contents to prevent stomach acid from entering the esophagus.
How quickly does Gaviscon start working?
You feel better as soon as you take it, and the effect of one dose lasts about 4 hours.
Exist any other drugs that are comparable to Gaviscon?
Yes, some drugs work similarly to Gaviscon, like as Acidex and Peptac.